Thursday, April 18, 2019

Man vs Bus..Bus wins.

 I have just learnt a very important lesson
about riding bikes..always look ahead!
On my way home from work about 4 Sundays ago,
I was feeling pretty good, you know that feeling, 2.30
in the afternoon, nice and sunny, but not too hot, all
that training and riding is starting to pay off.
I felt like I was cruising riding at about 35 kph, 
I look down as I pass a few big trees and notice the 
way the sun is making patterns through them on the 
asphalt in front of me, and I start wondering how I 
could get some nice film of this for a music video
I have been vaguely thinking about making..then
BANG!!!...

Straight into the back of a mid sized bus parked 
on the side of the road.
Seven broken and/or fractured ribs, punctured lung,
three vertebrae smashed out of place,
 (four hours of surgury..titanium rods/screws)
couple of broken teeth, missing a bit or hair.
six days in intensive care, two weeks in hospital..
 and here I am recovering.
 The old war horse Mitchell is of course a complete
write off, but incredibly the front Mavic Cosmic
rim seems to have survived in tact.
The saddest part of the whole thing is that I have
 and am going to miss so much work time
that I am forced to sell my Armstrong bike..damn.
Still i am not going to complain, I got off pretty
lightly..it could have been a lot worse..
at least I get to recover and ride again.
So I guess the moral of the story is that things can happen
fast even at 35 kph, and you can damage your self 
pretty good at that speed as well...lesson learnt!



+

2 comments:

  1. Adrian-

    I hope you recover quickly and completely from what was a daunting accident.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am riding again, not quite as fast as before..but not through a lack of trying though!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete